Grove, OK 50-150K 3Br 2Bth

Grove is rich in history and heritage. Pioneer, cowboy and Indian heritage has turned what was once wilderness into the fastest growing town in Oklahoma. From horse-drawn carriages to huge cabin cruisers on Grand Lake O’ the Cherokees, the area has definitely seen it all.

Most people are not aware of the opportunities and resources this once sleepy little town claims; however, these assets have not always been here. It has taken many years and much effort to develop the beautiful Grove area and the waters of the Grand Lake O’ the Cherokees that surround our wonderful town.

Cherokee Indian families settled in the area in the 1860s during the Trail of Tears; and French traders trapped wildlife along our riverbanks. Grove’s natural springs and groves of trees became identifying landmarks for the early travelers.

Grove has always been a welcoming place for residents and travelers. In fact, since 1817 it has been a well-known trading center with fertile valleys and clear streams. The blanketing woods that cover the hills of the countryside are sites where the many struggles and battles occurred that molded Grove into what it is today.

During the CivilWar, Federal troops referred to the Grove area as Round Grove in their official reports. Other names for the area included Monroe Grove, named for a Cherokee family that owned the land before the CivilWar; and Tablor’s Grove, named for Dr. Tablor, an early settler. The area was most frequently referred to as Grove Springs, since it was a small settlement near a freshwater spring that served as a resting place for travelers along the Texas Road.

Springs was dropped from the town name in 1888 when Captain Remsen applied for a post office, thus creating the name Grove.

In the early years the arrival of many new settlers prompted the community to organize. But even before the laying out of the town site and the creation of Grove there was an elected board of trustees, or town council, which governed the town and made the crucial decisions.

In 1940, the Pensacola Dam was completed with the Grand River being dammed up to form Grand Lake O’ the Cherokees, bringing electricity to the Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory. In the process the town of Grove was almost completely surrounded by water.

The construction of Sailboat Bridge on the north and Honey Creek Bridge on the south connected Grove to surrounding towns and Grove began to boom.

Grove continued to thrive and, as the years passed, new businesses were attracted to the area. The Grove Hospital was founded in 1963; the Grove Public Library was established in 1964; and in 1968 Har-Ber Village, the largest antique museum in the United States, was created.

Echoes of these times past are reflected in many of the stores in the downtown area, the never-ending coves of the lake water, and in the faces of current-day residents - an enthusiasm for tomorrow’s future that makes Living the Grand Life in Grove so special!